Spending more time with your pets while social distancing? Here are the top tips from THRIVE Affordable Vet Care on keeping you pet happy and healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Don’t introduce new food or treats, which can cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite) and/or lead to allergies (scratching, licking paws, biting at fur, shaking head). Changing litter may increase sneezing in cats.
- Minimize or eliminate the use of perfumes, fragrances, smoking in the home. These irritants can lead to sneezing, coughing, clear nasal discharge in pets.
- It may be tempting to reach for human medications to help your pet if they are showing signs of illness or pain. Please DO NOT do so without consulting a veterinarian. Human medications can be poisonous and life threatening to pets.
- You may have old medications in your home that were previously prescribed by a veterinarian. Please do not use these medications without consulting a veterinarian. Even if the issue looks the same, some medications can make the condition worse.
- While spending more time with your pet, you may begin noticing things you hadn’t previously noted (lumps, bumps, smells, scratches, limping, different or abnormal behavior). Ask yourself, is my pet eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping normally? Are they interacting with family members and other pets normally? If so, consider monitoring your pet for 24 hours. If not, it may be time for your pet to see a veterinarian.
- It may be tempting to spoil your pet with extra attention and treats while you are spending so much time together. Enjoy this time with your pet but try not to overindulge. This may put pets at risk for separation anxiety when owners resume their normal routine and pets are left at home.
- If you feel that your pet’s health is in danger, please contact a veterinarian ASAP. We are here to help you and your pet during this difficult time. We have introduced new protocols to maximize the safety of both our clients and staff. Please see our helpful instructions below!
- In addition, THRIVE is introducing Televet, our solution to make sure every pet has access to care. Now, established THRIVE patients can enjoy the convenience of at-home telehealth. Learn how THRIVE is now more accessible than ever.