“I have something I’m so excited to do every day and have the work-life balance with my family I was missing. Balance is what I’ve found.”
Name: Sara Waltz Johnston
Title: Area Medical Director
Region: North Carolina, South Carolina
Start Date: November 2018
Veterinary School: Hokie ❤️ Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, 2016
- My passion is for neurology and emergency medicine.
- I also have a Master of Physiology degree, with a focus in stress physiology and heat stress.
- I helped with the rescue of a beached pygmy sperm whale.
- I’ve done health exams on Lions, Baboons, Caracals, Ocelots, and Bintarongs.
- I make up songs for almost every patient I see or whatever I’m doing. Recreating hip hop songs is a favorite. 🎶🎶
THRIVE has allowed me to grow and explore my passions. In working for THRIVE, I found something I never knew I would love doing, with a company I love to work for. Previously, I was in ER and very passionate about it, but I’ve never looked back. I have something I’m so excited to do every day and have the work-life balance with my family I was missing. Balance is what I’ve found.
When did you know you wanted to become a veterinarian?
My parents said they knew this would be my path since before I can remember. When I was in grade school, I drew an anatomically correct picture of two horses mating and the baby that came afterwards…. It was apparently an awkward conversation between my parents and the teacher. From there, I would bring home and care for loner or sick animals; a fawn, a ground hog, snakes, an abandoned sheep and goat.
Come grow with us and join Sara’s team today! Explore new opportunities at THRIVE.