Ross Massimiano, DVM was our first California veterinarian hired on when THRIVE Affordable Vet Care came to the state in 2017. After almost 3 years with THRIVE, he is now Area Medical Director of our North San Diego and Inland Empire Markets. As a proud St. George’s University grad, Ross fully embraced the Island life before embarking on his next adventure to complete his clinical year at Murdoch University in Australia.
“What drew me to THRIVE was the ability to practice in a supportive environment with a forward-thinking company on a mission to help under-served pets due to rising costs in our industry.”
Name: Ross Massimiano
Title: Veterinarian, Area Medical Director
Region: Southern California
Start Date: October, 2017
Veterinary School: St. George’s University in Grenada, January 2015. Clinical year at Murdoch University in Perth, Australia, 2014.
- My high school mascot was the Redlands High School Terriers, which is also coincidentally my favorite type of dog! Well, not necessarily a specific breed, but the scruffy little terrier mixes are my favorite. I’ve so far collected two of them, Gizmo (11yr) and Marty (2yr).
- I have 7 pets – 2 Terriers, 1 Grey Tabby Cat, 2 Crested Geckos, 1 Pacman Frog, and 1 Rosy Boa Snake. I have a special interest in wildlife/exotic animals and tend to collect those patients that otherwise have nowhere to go.
- I’ve lived in 3 different countries: USA (California), Grenada, and Australia.
- I find myself fascinated with new technology and the benefits it can provide in healthcare.
- The most unique animal I have got to work with has to be the Duck-billed Platypus in Tasmania, Australia while working on a research project in veterinary school.
- I am a veterinarian by trade and a leader in bringing affordable veterinary care to patients and communities that otherwise would not have access. I maintain a particular interest in digital health technologies developing in the veterinary healthcare space. Disruptive technologies will aid and augment the well-being of animals, beginning with those we share our lives with, and extending into global wildlife ecosystems. I want to be a part of this conversation to help veterinarians, companies, and policymakers achieve the most out of digital innovation.
What drew me to THRIVE was the ability to practice in a supportive environment with a forward-thinking company on a mission to help those pets that might not be receiving basic veterinary needs – a problem due to the rising cost in our industry. I am happy to continue my own personal and professional growth as a leader with THRIVE. My favorite aspect of the role is working with new graduate veterinarians during their first year. They are so enthusiastic and eager to start practicing and that enthusiasm is contagious. I’ve helped develop our New Graduate Mentorship program that bridges that change from veterinary student to veterinarian.
When did you know you wanted to become a veterinarian?
Ever since I can remember, animals have surrounded me. They have been my companions throughout every stage of my life. I was one of those kids that wanted to be a veterinarian but was not sure I knew what that meant until university. I was halfway through my undergraduate degree in Biology at San Diego State University when I started volunteering at Project Wildlife, an excellent rehab non-profit, to gain experience with animals. Volunteering led to a role as a veterinary assistant at a small animal hospital where I got exposure to the veterinary industry. Through my mentor veterinarian and academic advisor, I decided to apply to veterinary school and continue my studies in the realm of biology, specifically veterinary medicine. This decision has led to many adventures, challenges, and lifelong memories with many more to come.
Come grow with us and join Ross’ team today! Explore new opportunities at THRIVE.